The latest episode of Radio Freethinker was all about the Cult of Scientology! We had a special guest in the studio: Gerry Armstrong, a former Scientologist who found out unpublicized facts about L Ron Hubbard and the Church from the inside, and fled. Since then he’s been harassed and persecuted by the cult, and has been an outspoken critic of its activites. You can find out more about Gerry on his website and this Wikipedia article, and you can listen to the episode here. I got in touch with Gerry through the local members of Anonymous – those internet people that protest Scientology with Guy Fawkes masks and funny posters – though in our town they call themselves Vanonymous.
The show also features an interview with Vanon – I asked them why they protest and how it’s gone so far. I got about 50 minutes of footage, but had to edit it down to 15 for the show. Some parts were interrupted by children and dogs, others we talked about with Gerry, and some were just too long! Part 1 is about 5 minutes, and Part 2 is 45 (warning, it’s huge).
A highlight in part 1 starts around 2:56, where they explain Scientology’s Fair Game policy (which is invoked to discredit and harrass anyone they don’t like). Also, there is a child calling for his mommy.
Part 2 has a lot of cool stuff:
- 1:40 – 2:40: Casey Hill, a Crown attorney in Ontario that won the largest libel case in Canada against the CoS
- 2:40 – 6:00: the story of Lisa MacPherson‘s horrendous mistreatment at the hands of Scientologists
- 6:00 – 8:20: Scientology’s anti-psychiatry stance, and Operation Snow White (in which Scientologists infiltrate the US government)
- 12:20 – 17:00: Vanonymous and response to their protests by the public, the cops, and the Scientologists
- 17:15 – 22:40: the RPF (which is like a prison camp) and Scientology’s treatment of dissenters
- 22:40 – 26:25: why are Anonymous protests comedic?
- 26:25 – 29:00: how Scientologists harass Vanon
- 32:40 – 34:50: Scientologist’s sneaky propagana
If you want to find out more about Vanonymous and why they do what they do, check out Vanonymous.org and WhyWeProtest.net. To Vanons reading this: thanks for the interview guys, and I’m totally not sorry for rickrolling you in the live broadcast!
UPDATE: The links above to part 1 and part 2 of the full Vanon interview are behind a password protected ftp. I’ll work on getting that fixed – in the meantime I’ve uploaded them to Rapidshare here: part 1 & part 2. Please comment if those work or don’t work! Sorry for the mixup. – Rob